Wednesday, September 2, 2009
Thanks to Pinky , Shanthi & Jyoti for these Lovely Awards and Tags ... I really can't express my feelings & happiness to get these ...
Now here are the answers for the tags ...
1. What is your current obsession?
A. Cooking , Blogging and Reading .
2. What are you wearing today?
A. Long Skirt - Top
3. What's for dinner?
A. I am doing diet so for me salad & for my dear hubby Chapatti & Egg Tarka .
4. What is the last thing you brought?
A. 3 T-shirts for my hubby & 2 long skirt for me .
5. What are you listening to right now?
A. Rabindra Sangeet.
6. What do you think about the person who tagged you?
A. All of them are great & enthusiastic cook with beautiful hearts.
7. If you have a house totally paid for,fully furnished any where in the world,where would you like it to be?
A. My home town Kolkata , West Bengal .
8. What are your must have pieces for summer?
A. Sunscreen lotion,sunglass , Perfume & face wash .
9. Which language you want to learn?
A. Arabic , Freanch & Italian .
10. Who do u want to meet now?
A. My parents & my brother , sister in law & In-laws .
11. What is your favourite colour?
A. white or Black or Blue .I love these 3 colours can't choose any one of them .
12. What do you try to cook when you have cooking blues(when you feel real lazy to cook something)?
A. Maggi or some chat ( I loved them ) .
13. What are the cosmetics/make-up/perfumes that you can't live without?
A. Sunscreen , Face wash , Eyeliner & Perfumes.
14. What is your favourite piece of clothing in your own closet?
A. Sarees & Long or short skirts ( not too short ).
15. What is your favourite magazine?
A. Any kind of magazines, I love reading .
16. If you had $100 now,what would you spend it on?
A. I will save that money , I don't buy things if its not necessary .
17. Who are your style icons?
A. I am my own style icon , as I think style is all about feeling confortable .
18. Describe your personal style?
A. Dress up as per place or occasion.
19. What are your favourite movies?
A. Any old bengali movies .
20. Give us three styling tips that always work for you?
A. Be Simple , Elegent and Confident.
21.Coffee or tea?
22. What inspires you?
A. Any inspirable work which helps people .
23. Which other blogs you love visiting?
A. Each and Every Food blog , too many to list .
24. Favourite dessert/sweet?
A. Misti Doi & Icecream , you can say I am an icecreamholic .
25. Favourite season?
A. Winter and spring.
26. Which is your dream destination?
A. Too many but mostly Kerala , Kashmir , USA , London & Switzerland .
27. Which is your favourite international cuisine?
A. Arabic , Chinese & Italian .
28. What is your favorite line?
A. Alaways be Positive & happy , you will achive your goal .
29. What is the meaning of your name?
A. Dolon is actually a Latin word its means A Trojan spy & in another way in bengali its meaning the round of a pendulam .
30. If I come to your house now, what would u cook for me?
A. Some special bengali cuisine .
31. What do you do when you are feeling low or terribly depressed?
A. Start working or cooking or Listen to music or talk to my parents/hubby.
32. What do you do when you “have nothing to wear” (even though your closet’s packed)?
A. Never happened .
33. What are you going to do after this?
A. Cook dinner .
34. What do you consider a fashion faux pas?
A. Wearing clothes that don’t suit you & doing too much cosmetices
35. What is your dream job?
A. I want to start a buissness of my own , so no dream job .
36. My Adding question is :
In which God do You Trust?
The rules are:
Respond and rework – answer the questions on your own blog, replace one question that you dislike with a question of your own invention,and add one more question of your own. Then tag eight or ten other people.
Thanks to Shanthi for these lovely tag & I really loved doing it .
Now the rules are :
1) Link the person who tagged you .
2) Post the rules on your blog.
3) Share the ABC'S of you.
4) Tag 4 people at the end of the post by linking their blogs.
5) Let the 4 tagged people know that they have been tagged by you.
6) Do not tag the same person repeatedly but try to tag different people,so that there is a big network of bloggers doing the tag.
1. A – Available/Single? Married
2. B – Best friend? My husband & My parents .
3. C – Cake or Pie? Cake
4. D – Drink of choice? Water .
5. E – Essential item you use every day? My Laptop , Mobile & Car .
6. F – Favorite color? Black
7. G – Gummy Bears Or Worms? Gummy Bears .
8. H – Hometown? Kolkata,West Bengal .
9. I – Indulgence? Savouries chaats and chips .
10. J – January or February? January .
11. K – Kids & their names? Not yet
12. L – Life is incomplete without? Love & respect
13. M – Marriage date? 24th January ,2005
14. N – Number of siblings? One elder brother
15. O – Oranges or Apples? Oranges
16. P – Phobias/Fears? Lizards
17. Q – Quote for today? Alaways be Positive & happy .
18. R – Reason to smile? When my husband try to make to smile & my nephew's behaviour ( 1.5 year old )
19. S – Season? Winter & Spring.
20. T – Tag 4 People? Names are at the bottom of this post .
21. U – Unknown fact about me? I keep everything secret .
22. V – Vegetable you don't like? Bhindi .
23. W – Worst habit? Short tempered & talkative
24. X – X-rays you've had? Never
25. Y – Your favorite food? Any chat or panjabi food.
26. Z – Zodiac sign? Gemini
Now I am passing these awards & tag to the following people Rajeswari, Mythreyi Dilip , Smitha & Tulip ,
Monday, August 24, 2009
First of all I wish all my dear foodies Happy Ganesh Chaturthi .Now before you guys ask me why I disappeared from this blog let me clear it first. Last couple of weeks I was too buzy with my office , so I could not get any time to post any new recipes . I didnot visit to other blogs either . But now I am here again with some new recipes .
Last week during janmastami I made some authentic bengali sweet dish called "Mungsamali" & I thought to share it with you guys .
1. 2C coconut grated .
2. 3C sugar
3. 1C milk
4. 1C flour.
5. 1C yellow moong dal .
6. 1 tsp cardamom powder .
7. 1C water .
8. Oil for Frying .
1. Wash the dal properly & cook in a pressure cooker till done . It should be cooked properly but don't make it smashy .
2. Once it cool, drain the water completely & keep aside .
3. In a kadai add the grated coconut & keep stairing till it becomes light brown in colour .
4. Now add the sugar in it & let it cook for another 10min .
5. now add the milk & let it cook till all the milk evaporate .
6. Cook for another 10 more min . Take it out of the heat & let it cool .
7. In a bowl add the cooked dal & the flour . knead it properly to make a chapati like dough .
8. Make small balls from the dough, spread each ball with hand and stuff the coconut sugar mixture into it. Fold it and seal the edges so that filling doesnt come out to get the shape of 'Puli' as in the picture .
9. In another pan heat water & add sugar . Boil it for some time to make sugar syrup . Now add cardamom powder. cook for a couple of minutes.
10. Now heat oil in a kadai & fry the pulies till golden brown on low heat . Remove from oil & add the pulies to the syrup slowly. Let till cool & serve .
Saturday, August 1, 2009
The days are very long nowadays, the sky being bright till almost 7o’clock. This is the summer time & outside is really very hot. This time I always try to make the meal very mild , as well as tasty . My husband was asking for some kofta for quite a while now . They are not something that I make very often .
Last time when I visited India , my mom given me some Gobindobhog Rice ( one kind of basmati rice ) , which I normally use for Payesh or for Pulao . Its quite a long time now , that I brought them ,So I thought to make some Lauki Kofta ( Lau-er kofta ) & Bengali Pulao last week .
So here is the recipe :
Ingredients for lauki kofta :-
1. 1 medium size lauki .
2. 4 tbsp besan .
3. 1 small onion chopped finely .
4. 2 small tomato .
5. 2 tsp ginger-garlic paste .
6. salt to taste .
7. 2 tsp red chilli powder .
8. 4 tsp coriender powder .
9. 1 tsp garam masala powder .
10. whole garam masala ( 1 bay leaf ,2 green cardamom ,1" piece cinnamon , 2 laung ) .
11 2 tsp of dahi / yoghut .
12 green chillies chopped finely .
13 Handful of chopped coriender .
14 Oil .
15. 2 tsp fresh cream ( optional ) .
Method for kofta :-
1. Grate the lauki in a foo processor & mix some salt . Keep it for 5 min .
2. Now squeeze the extra water from it & add besan in the grated lauki, mix it well with hands preferably .
3. Take 1 tbsp oil in a kadai and add the besan lauki paste to it .Mix the paste well in the kadai till it becomes dry .
4. Now remove it from heat & mix chopped onion , chopped green chilli , chopped coriender leave , salt ,red chilli powder & dhaniya powder .
5. Make small kofta balls from the mix . Keep these balls aside .
6. Now heat oil in a kadai & fry these balls till golden brown . Now remove from the heat & keep in a kitchen towel to absorb the excess oil .
7. In a food processor grind the onion , tomato, ginger-gerlic paste , dahi into a paste & keep aside .
8. Take 2 tbsp of oil and add whole garam masala in it , once the masala start crackle add the onion paste to it 7 fry till raw smell disappear .
9. Once it turns golden brown , add red chilli powder , dhaniya, garam masala and salt to it.
10. Fry the masala till the paste leaves oil , now add the cream .
11. Fry for another 2-3 min & add 1/2 cup water . Once the gravy start boiling add the koftas & garam masala powder .
12. Boil for another 2 min & remove from the heat . Sprinkle some chopped
green coriender .
Ingredients for Pulao :-
1. 1 cup basmati rice ( I used gobindobhog rice ).
2. 2 green chilli finely chopped .
3. 1" piece of fresh ginger cut into juilions .
4. 1 carrot chopped into small pieces .
5. 1/2 cup green peas .
6. 1 tsp turmeric powder .
7. Whole garam masala ( 1 bay leaf ,2 green cardamom ,1" piece cinnamon , 2 laung , 2 black cardamom , 4 black peppercorn ) .
9. 5-6 tsp sugar ( you can adjust as per your taste ) .
10. 4 tsp ghee & 4 tsp of oil .
11. 1/2 cup cashew nuts & raisins .
12. 3-4 stands of saffron , soaked in milk ( optional ).
1. Wash the rice & soak it in water for 30 min .
2. Now in a pressue cooker add the oil+ghee .
3. Now add all the ingredients & mix properly . Add 2 1/2cups of water & close the lid .
4. put the pressure cooker in the gas & cook it on slow heat till 3 whistle .
5. Remove from the heat & let it cool till the pressure release completely . Now bengali pulao is ready to serve .
We had ours with lauki kofta . It taste great .
Note :- We bengalis like sweetness . But if you want you can use the suger less .