Wednesday, July 29, 2009
I thank Shanti & EC who passed me this kreative blogger award & I am really very happy that you considered me for this .This is my second award & It means a lot to me .
Now the rules for this award are :
1. You must thank the person who has given you the award.
2. Copy the logo and place it on your blog.
3. Link to the person who has nominated you for the award.
4. Name 7 things about yourself that people might find interesting.
5. Nominate 7 other Kreativ Bloggers.
6. Post links to the 7 blogs you nominate.
7. Leave a comment on which of the blogs to let them know they have been nominated.
Now 7 facts about me :-
1. I am a very caring & family oriented person . I love my family very much & if something happened ( feeling ill or something ) , i become very tensed .
2. I love to shop for my home ( like furniture , home furnishing , electronics etc ) , more than for my own things .
3. I love to read books . It can be any book like cooking , novels , friction , magazine anything . If I started reading a book & I don't left that till I finish . Sometimes this habit create some serious problem in my life .
4. I love to cook & eat also . You can say I am a reall foodie . My husband is my food critic & he love to try new recipes , so i love to cook different types of cuisines .
5. I like to do everything by myself only . I don't like other person is helping me to do my work .
6. I want to open a resturent in India & I will do that in future for sure .
7. I want to go back to India as soon as I can & to stay near my parents .
it doesnot mean that I don't like this place but I want my parents should be alaways near to me .
Now the next rule is , this has to be passed only to 7 bloggers . I want to pass it to all my dear fellow bloggers but I have to follow the rule . So I am nominating the following blogger friends .
1. Bong Mom's Cookbook
2. Saffron Apron
3. Delectable Vegetarian Recipes
5. Indian cuisine
7. Raks Kitchen
Hope you liked it . Take Care .
Tuesday, July 28, 2009
No account of bengali food is complete without sweet dish . We bengalis are famous for our sweet preparations and Misti Doi is among the most well known dessert.This is one of the most famous bengali dish , it tastes great but is amazingly simple to make!
Sometimes back one of my foodie friend "Aruna" asked me for misti doi (dahi) recipe . I made Misti doi previously also at home , but that time I never thought to open a food blog . So I never taken any picture of them & I made it at home once again . It came perfect in colour & taste great . So here is the recipe :
1. 1 ltr full cream milk .
2. 1 1/2 cup sugar .
3. 2-3 tbsp water .
4. 3/4 tbsp curds .
5. 2-3 pods of green cardamom / 1/2tsp of cardamom powder .
1. Bring the milk to boil with 1 cup sugar & continue boiling for 10-12 min.
2. Meanwhile put remaining sugar in a heavy saucepan. Heat on high stirring continuously . Once it will become brown like caramel, add water and stir well till boil is resumed.
3. Add it to the boiling milk and also add the cardamom powder . Stir well so that it mix properly .
4. Boil the mixture for a further 10-15 min.
5. Now once it cool, add curd and stir well.
6. Now pour into individual cups or a single vessel & cover with lids / aluminium foil .
7. Keep in a warm & dry place( in a kitchen cupboard /hot microwave oven ) till set.
8. Once set place it in the refrigerator for another 2-4 hrs & serve chilled as a dessert .
Thursday, July 23, 2009
This is a very hectic week for me ... Lots of work in the office & at home also .But today is last day of the week , now 2 days off for weekend . That means again my normal weekend routine . but last week when I got continious 3days off I made some delicious recipes . I already post one in my earlier poat & I promised to all of you that i wil post those recipes one by one . So today I am posting one snack recipe , called Vegetable Chop .
So here is the recipe .
1. 1 medium potato .
2. 2 medium size carrot .
3. 2-3 medium size beetroot .
4. 1 tsp ginger paste
5. 3 tsp peanuts .
6. 3-4 tsp bhaja masala .
7. 1/2 tsp sugar .
8. Salt .
9. 4-5 tbsp besan .
10. 1/2 cup bread crumbs .
11. 1 cup white oil (for deep frying) .
Ingredients for bhaja masala :-
1. 2 tbsp cumin seeds .
2. 6 dry red chillies .
1. Roast cumin seeds & dry red chillies on low heat till jeera turns brown and chillies dark red. Do not char. Remove from heat and grind in a grinder. You can preserved it for long periods and used for different preparations also .
2. Cut potato , carrot & beetroot into 2-3" size big chunks. Pressure cook on high heat for 2 steams. Drain the water & mash the vegetables coarsely & mix 2-3 tsp bread crumbs .
3. Heat 2 tbsp oil in kadai. Fry the peanuts & remove from the heat .
4. Now add ginger, fry for 2 min . Add the roughly mashed vegetables, salt and sugar. Cook for 8-10 minutes on medium high heat.
5. Add bhaja masala and mix . Remove the vegetables from heat and let it cool.
6. Make a besan mix by adding 1/4th cup water. The mix should not be too thick or too watery . Make chop-size dumplings of the vegetable mixture using your hands & dip in besan mix to form a thin layer, coat with bread crumbs and keep aside.
7. Pour the oit in a deep bottom pan & fry them till golden brown. Remove from heat and keep on paper towel to drain excess oil before serving.
8. Now serve them with some tomato sauce .
Monday, July 20, 2009
After a long weekend we have started another week , that means another hetrick schedule . We enjoyed this long weekend very much (doing nothing) . I wake up at 11 o'oclok every day & by the time I realise the weekend was over . But I made some delicious recipes over this time .Those will come one by one in each posts . One of them was Mutton Chaap .
This is a traditional bengali recipe , spicy & very delicious .
1. 750 gm Mutton or lamb .
2. 250 gms Onions chopped .
3. 2 -3 tsp ginger-gerlic paste .
4. 1 tsp turmeric powder .
5. 5-6 green chili paste (use as per your taste).
6. 2 tsp rose water .
7. 2 tsp Keora water .
8. 5-6 tsp oil .
9. 200gm char magog paste / poppy seed paste .
10. Salt .
11. Sugar .
12. 2 bay leaf .
Ingredients for masala powder :-
1. 5 green cardamom
2. 5 black cardamom .
3. 3 stick of cinnamon
4. 10-12 black cardamom ,
5. 4 aniseed ,
6. 4 bay leaf,
7. 7-8 cloves ,
8. 1 tsp shahi jeera
9. 4 red chillis
1. In a kadai add the Ingredients of masala powder . Roast them & make a powder in a blender .
2. Clean the mutton & mix salt, green chilli paste , ginger-gerlic paste. Keep it for 2-3 hours.
3. Now heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add bay-leaves and one teaspoon sugar. When sugar become caramalized add the onions .
4. Fry the onions till soft & raw smell go . Add the marinated mutton. Do not add water.
5. Fry for 10 min till the mutton pieces well coated with the masala .
6. Now add char mogog paste & fry for another 5 min .
7. When oil start leaving the sides of the cooker , close the lead . Steam for 8 minutes.
8. After that open the cooker and add the masala powder , rose water and keora water. Cook for another 5 min . Remove from the heat , cover and let it simmer for another 5 min . Now delicious mutton chaap is ready & serve hot with some roti or naan .
Tuesday, July 14, 2009
Last week when I made Dum aloo I thought to make something new to serve with it & made "Moglai Parota" , one of my favouriote food in Kolkata . This is some kind of stuffed paratha which normally served with dum aloo , salad & some sauces . Whenever I go to Kolkata , I make sure I eat them atleast 5 times . My mom always tell my brother to bring it at home often . But still I miss them here. So last week i thought instead of missing them I will try to make them at home . I made them & it was like resturent type .
So here is the recipe :
Ingredients for dum aloo :-
1. 3-4 Big potatoes .
2. 3 medium red onion .
3. 4 green chilles .
4. 2 Tomatoes pureed .
5. 3 tsp ginger-garlic paste .
6. 1-2 tsp red chilli powder
7. 1 tsp garam masala .
8. 1 tsp turmeric .
9. 1 tsp coriender powder .
10. salt to taste
11. 3 tsp Oil
12. 1/2c water
13. handful Coriender leaf
14. 1 tsp sugar ( optional )
1. Clean & cut the potato in half .Now pressure cook the potato pieces with some salt . Make sure that the potatoes are not over cooked .
2. Peel the potatoes & keep aside .
3. In a heavy bottom vessel add oil . When oil become hot add the sugar .
Now add onion & Saute until onions gets soft.Add ginger-garlic paste & fry till raw smell goes .
4. Now add the tomato puree , turmeric powder , chilli powder . Fry in slow heat with occassional Stir to avoid from sticking to the bottom .
5. when oil start leaving add the potatoes . fry for another 5 min .
6. Now add salt & 1/2 cup water . Bring it to boil .
7. Once the gravy remove from heat . Garnish with some fresh chopped coriender & keep aside .
Ingredients for moglai paratha :-
1. 1 1/2 cups white refined flour .
2. 2 medium size onion chopped finely
3. 2-3 green chilli slit .
4. 2 tsps ghee for kneading .
6. 1 tsp salt .
7. 3 egg .
8. 4 tsp breadcrumb .
9. 1/2 cup dum aloo .
10. Oil for frying .
1. In a bowl take the egg & add salt in it .
2. In a separate bowl take some dum aloo sabji , smash it properly with a smasher & add the bread crumb , mix onion , green chilli with it .
3. Now sieve the flour and salt together . Now mix the ghee with the flour & knead well until the dough becomes soft and pliable.
4. Cover it with a wet cloth and keep aside for two hours.
5. Make small balls and roll them into 12" dia .
6. Pour the egg mixture in the central part of that & spread the mixture in the central part in a square shape.
7. Now place a part of the sabji mixture & spread that in the central part in a square shape.
8. Now fold the sides of the round chapatti in a square shape (from the four corners) that the batter inside is fully covered.
9. Wet your finger with water and press the corners and edges of the paratha with little pressure to ensure the folds will not open while frying.
10 Now in a frying pan add some oil .
11.Once the oil is hot place the paratha & fry from both the sides till crispy & golden brown . Remove it from the pan & serve hot with some dum aloo , salad & tomato sauce .
Saturday, July 11, 2009
Paneer is one of the all time favourite food at our house ( specialy for hubby ). We make various types of dishes with it & alaways tastes great . Last week I made this kadai paneer for dinner . I add some ingredients which normally I don't use in kadai paneer . But it was so good that I thought to stick in this recipe . I added capsicum & onion pieces & made it like how I normally make manchurian . But it was not like manchurian . So I thought to share this recipe with all of you & here is my version of Kadai paneer ....
1. 300 gm paneer cut into small pieces & shallow fried .
2. 2 medium size onion chopped finely & 1 onion chopped into 1" size pieces .
3. 2-3 green chilli slit .
4. 2 medium size tomatoes finely chopped / pureed .
5. 1 tsp ginger paste .
6. 1 tsp gerlic paste .
7. 2 capsicum cut into 1" size pieces .
8. 1 1/2 tbsp Coriander powder .
9. 1 tsp Turmeric powder .
10.2 tsp red chili powder .
11. 1 tsp garam masala powder .
12. Whole garam masala ( cumin , 1" Cinnamon stick, 1 bay leaf ) .
13. Sugar ( optional ).
14. Salt to taste .
15. Oil .
1. Heat oil in a kadai and add the Sugar till caramelized . Now add whole garam masala .
2. Once they start splutter, add the chopped onions and saute till it caramalized.
3. Once onion become soft add the ginger-gerlic paste & saute for 5 min .
4. Once raw smell goes add the tomato pieces/puree and saute well.Now add the red chili powder ,Coriander powder , Turmeric powder & saute for another 2 min .
5. Now add the capsicum , onion pieces & slit green chillies . Fry for 5 min till they become soft (not smashy).
6. Now add salt and 1/2 cup water . Allow it to boil .
7. Now add the fried paneer pieces & cook it till the gravy become thick . At last add the garam masala powder & stair once . Serve hot with roti , paratha or even hot rice .
Note : I used packed paneer . But if you want you can make paneer at home . Home made paneer taste great .
Wednesday, July 8, 2009
This weekend the weather was nice .. Not that much hot . Normally june to august is the hottest seasons over here .After that weather starts changing & weather becomes nice & cold . But yesterday it was little cold & hazzy weather . I normally make something special for breakfast every weekend insted of cake / bread , milk- cornflakes . & this time when my dear hubby wanted to have chole - bhature I thought why not make as per his request .
So here is the recipe :-
1. 5 cups white refined flour .
2. 1 cup yogurt .
3. 1 tsp salt .
4. 2 tsps ghee for kneading & extra for frying bhatures .
5. 1 tsps sugar .
6. 1/2 tsp yeast .
1. Mix the yeast with half a cup of luke warm water and keep aside for ten minutes.
2. Now sieve the flour and salt together .
3. Mix the ghee and the sugar with the flour.
4. Add the yogurt and dissolved yeast .
5. Add little more luke warm if necessary.
6. Knead well until the dough becomes soft and pliable.
7. Cover it with a wet cloth and keep aside for two hours.
8. Heat the ghee in a kadai .
9. Make small balls and roll them , spread a little with your palms to make it bit elongated ( tear shaped) and fry in hot ghee until golden brown.
10.Served these bhature with some spicy chole .
They came out very nice & tasty . I am sending this recipe to dear Divya , who is hosting the event called "Show me your Breakfast!" .
Sunday, July 5, 2009
Its summer time & the days are long & very hot here . Summer time is the worst time in Dubai . Getting out is very difficult in the afternoon & its applicable for weekend days alos . But from September onwards the weather will become very pleasant . So now in this hot weather I don't want to go out for lunch , & I thought to make something new to enjoy our lunch at home . So I made Lamb dhansak .
Lamb Dhansak is a popular Parsi recipe in which lamb is cooked along with lentil and should be medium to hot in spiciness . We loved the blend of hot spices, sour flavours and lentils & make the dhansak a popular curry at our home .So here is the recipe ...
Ingredients for dhansak :-
1. 500 gm boneless lamb, diced into large chunks .
2. 2 small tomatoes, roughly chopped .
3. 2 medium onions, roughly chopped .
4. 1 lemon .
5. 2 tbsp oil .
6. Salt to taste .
For lentil mixture :-
1. 1/2 cup toor dal .
2. 1/2 cup masoor dal .
3. 1/2 cup urad dal .
4. 1 small aubergine, chopped .
5. 1 small sweet potato, chopped .
6. 1/2 small pumpkin , chopped .
7. 2 onion, roughly chopped .
8. Handful of coriander .
9. 1 tsp turmeric powder .
10.2 tsp oil .
11. 2 cup water
For masala paste
1. 3 tsp ginger- gerlic paste .
2. 2 tsp red chilli powder .
3. 1 tsp cumin powder .
4. 1 tsp coriander powder .
5. Whole garam masala (1"cinnamon ,4 green cardamoms ,4 whole black pepper , 1 star anise , )
6. 1 tbsp kasoori methi .
7. Handful coriander leave .
8. Salt .
9. 1 tsp nutmeg powder .
1. Heat oil in a pressure cooker & fry the onion till soft & brown . Now put water , salt & all the ingredients for the lentil mixture . Cook for 5 whistles and then simmer for 15 -20 minutes . Uncover and mash the dal mixture to get a semi-smooth mixture.
2. Grind all the paste ingredients in a blender to make a smooth masala paste .
3. Heat the oil in the pressure cooker . Now add the chopped onions & fry until pale brown. Add the spice paste and the tomatoes and fry for ten minutes, stirring regularly so that it won't stick to the bottom .
4. Then add the lamb and fry until they are brown all over and well coated in the masalas. Fry for 10 min & then put the dal mixture into it and pressure cook again for about 15 minutes.
5. Now open the pressure cooker, mix in the lemon juice & add salt . Let it simmer for another 10 min & serve hot with white rice , salad & fried papad .
Note :- If you don’t have a pressure cooker, just cook it in a kadai .
Don't make the lentil mixture too much smashy .
It is meant to be hot, sweet and sour. so use as much chilli (fresh green and dry red chilli ) you want .
Saturday, July 4, 2009
Hope you all are doing great...I would like to thank Jyoti of " Food Seasons " , http://www.foodseasons.com/ for this wonderful award... This is my first award & you just made my day dear .. Thanks for all the love and encouragement ...
Till then have a nice & bright weekend to all . Have fun & do take care of yourself .