Sunday, June 28, 2009
Couple of days back I was reading a report that nowdays heart attack can be occur at the age of 22 also . Because of our lifestyle , food habits & stress in our personal & professional life . We indians eat oily & spicy food . So our risk for heart attack is most . So I thought to make something for which I don't need to use more oil & made chicken tikka . Later I thought to use them to make roll for our dinner .
So I made delicious chicken tikka roll .
Here is the recipe .
Ingredients for chicken tikka :-
1. 250 gm boneless chicken pieces cut into 2" chunks .
2. 4 tsp hang curd / yoghurt / dahi .
3. 2 tsp ginger - gerlic paste .
4. 1 tsp roasted cumin powder .
5. 2 tsp Chilly powder .
6. Juice of 1 lemon .
7. 1 tsp Garam masala .
8. 1 tsp coriender powder .
9. 1 tsp Chaat masala .
10. 1 tsp black pepper powder
11. 1 tsp kashmiri chilli powder / red food colour ( optional for colour ).
12. Salt to taste .
13. Butter / olive oil .
14. Wooden skewers to hold the chicken pieces .
1. In a small bowl mix all the ingredients except butter .
2. Marinate the chicken pieces for at lest 8 hours in the refrigerator .
3. In a bowl take some water & place the wooden stick for 2 hours .
4. Thread the chicken onto skewers and keep ready .
5. Now preheat the oven or grill to a medium high temperature & grill it for 15 mins each sides . Place the skewers on the grill racks in your oven with a tray underneath to catch drippings.
6. Remove from the microwave . Now roast open in the gas oven till the chicken is browned on all sides and tender.
7. Remove from skewers and put the chicken in a plate.
Ingredients for roll :-
1. 2 cup Whole wheat flour .
2. 1 tsp Olive oil for kneading + 2 tsp for frying .
3. Salt to taste
4. Water .
6. 4 Eggs .
1. In a bowl mix flour, salt and oil well.
2. Add water slowly and make chapati type dough.Now cover with a moslin cloth & keep it aside for half an hour.
3. Divide the dough into balls & spread each ball into thin circles .
4. Now Heat a pan/tawa over medium heat.Grease the pan with little oil, place one chapati and cook for few seconds on one side until it starts to puff up. Flip over to the other side and continue this process until both sides have golden brown spots.
5. Remove from pan .
6. In a small bowl take the egg , add salt & beat well .
7. Now add 1 tsp oil in the hot tawa/pan & pour the egg mixture .Place the paratha at the top of it & press it gently so that the egg spead all over the paratha evenly .Cook for 30 sec each sides .
Ingredients for assamble :-
1. 2 cucumber finely chopped .
2. 1 tomato finely chopped .
3. 1 medium size onion finely chopped .
4. 2 green chilli finely chopped .
5. Lemon juice .
6. Tomato sause .
7. Chilli Sauce .
1. Now take the paratha , add the tikkas & above ingrediants in the middle of the paratha and roll tightly from end to make the roll .
2. You can wrap a aluminium foil or the paper at the bottom of the roll to hold it .
Wednesday, June 24, 2009
Kolkata is famous for its foods & that too for snacks & chats . That can be "Phuchka" , "Jhalmuri" ,"Alu kabli" ,"Moglai" or so on .....
But here in Dubai I don't feel the tastes of the chats like Kolkata . There are few chat corners are here but I don't get them that easily . I don't want to go for 30 min ride to get some good chat . So Last weekend when I was curving for some snacks I thought to make it by myself . At least to give it a try . So I made Aloo Tikka chat & surprisingly it tastes great .
Here is the recipe :
Ingredients for Tikki :-
1. 3 - 4 medium size potatoes
2. 1 onion finely chopped
3. 1 tbsp grated ginger
4. 1 green chilli finely chopped
5. 3 - 4 tbsp bread crumbs
6. 1 - 2 tsp garam masala
7. 1 - 2 tsp jeera powder
8. 1 - 2 tsp red chilli powder
9. Oil for cooking
10. salt as per taste
11. Handful chopped coriander leaves .
1. Pressure cook the potatoes and mash them well . Mix all the above ingredients properly , except oil .
2. Now make small balls of the mixture by placing in between your palms, & press it to flatten a bit .
3. Heat a non-sick pan and drizzle some oil. Place the tikki and cook it on medium flame till light brown . Once brown, flip it to cook on the other side. Add some oil if needed.
Ingredients for Chole :-
1. 3 canned chickpea drained & washed properly
2. 3 medium size onion chopped finely
3. 2-3 green chilli chopped finely
4. 2 medium size tomatoes finely chopped
5. 1 tsp ginger paste
6. 1 tsp gerlic paste
7. 2 -3 tsp red chili powder
8. 1 1/2 tbsp Coriander powder
9. 1 tsp Turmeric powder
10. Whole garam masala ( cumin , cloves ,1" Cinnamon stick, black peppercorns , green cardamom , black cardamom )
12. Salt to taste
13. Sugar ( optional )
14. 1 cup water
1. Heat oil in a pan and add the Sugar till caramelized . Now add whole garam masala .
2. Once they start splutter, add the chopped onions, green chillies and saute well.
3. Once onion become soft add the ginger paste & saute for 2 min .
4. Now add the red chili powder ,Coriander powder , Turmeric powder & saute for another 2 min .
5. Once aroma of the spices is released, add the tomato pieces and saute well.
6. Now add the chickpeas , salt and water . Allow it to boil till the gravy become thick .
Now in a plate put the aloo tikkis , add some chole over it . Drizzle of yogurt , tamarind date chutney , chopped cilantro , chopped onion , black salt & enjoy .
I am sending this post to Served With Love who is hosting this month's RCI "Mumbai Street Food" , originally hosted by dear fellower Lakshmi of " Veggie Cuisine " & also sending this to Simple Indian Food for WYF Fried snack event .
Monday, June 22, 2009
I have seen now days we celebrate Valentine day , Mother's day , Woman's Day & so on .... But we don't celebrate Father's day with that much enthusiasm . I don't know why . But I think for every child their parents are very special . So I want to say everybody to celebrate Father's day with same motivation & love . Express your love towards your father . Not only this particular day , but also the whole life . & express them how special they are ( express also your mother , In laws & others ) .
So here is a sweet dish for this special occasion :-
1. 250 gm Semolina / Suzi .
2. 200 gm sugar
3. 2 1/2 cup milk
4. 4-5 tsp ghee
5. 1tsp cardamom powder
6. 3-4 saffron
7. 1 cup water ( optional , you can add milk instead of water )
8. Chopped nuts ( cashew nuts , almonds , pistachio )
1. In a heavy bottom pan add the ghee & semolina . Fry till it start becoming light brown in colour & your kitchen full with nice aroma .
2. Now add 2 cup milk , sugar & cardamom powder .
3. Let it boil & stair continuously .
4. Add some more milk if needed . Once it start leaving the sides of the pan add the saffron .
5. When it become thick remove from the heat & garnish with chopped nuts .
6. Let it cool & serve with some paratha or by itself .
Sunday, June 14, 2009
Couple of days back when I visited Nags food blog , I came to know that she is hosting Meeta's Monthly Mingle Event : Ravishing Rice . Since this is a new blog & I never send any recipe for any event .I thought to send one recipe for this event . So this weekend I made Bombay Biriyani . Biriyani is all time favourite food at our home & is alaways hit .
& at the meantime I came to know that in Viki's kitchen also one event is going on " The Potluck - Chicken " . So I am sending this recipe to Viki's Kitchen also .
Here is the recipe :-
1. 500-750gms Chicken , small cubes with bones .
2. 500gms Basmati Rice washed & soacked for 30 mins .
3. 3 tsp ginger-gerlic paste .
4. 5 medium onion finely sliced .
5. 3 Medium tomatoes chopped .
6. 3 medium potatoes peeled & halfed
7. 1 cup plain youghut
8. 3 tsp ghee
9. 5 tsp oil
10. 5 tsp biriyani masala ( homemade / Shan / Mehran / any other )
11. Handful coriender leave
12. Handful pudina leave
13. Handful cashew nuts
14. 2 tsp rose water
15. 2 tsp kewra water
16. 4 Green chillis slited
17. Whole garam masala ( cinnamon , green cardamom , black cardamom , aniseed , bay leaf, cloves , shahi jeera ).
19. 4 tsp milk
20. pinch of saffron
21. 3 tsp lemon juice
1. Fry the onions in oil until golden . Keep them separate .
2. Now in a heavy bottom pan add the whole garam masala . Now add the onion & potatoes, fry till golden brown .
3. Add tomatoes & fry till the oil separates .
4. Add meat , ginger , gerlic , youghut & the biriyani masala . Fry for 15min .
5. Now add 2 cups water & cook on low heat until meat is tender . Then increase the heat & stir fry until oil separates from the gravy .
6. Separately in 10 glasses of hot water add whole garam masala & salt . Now add the soak rice . When the rice 3/4 cooked , remove from heat & throughly drain the water .
7. In a cup mix milk & saffron , keep for 30 min .
8. Now in a heavy bottom vessel spread the cooked meat & curry . Put thr rice over it & make layers . In between every layers add fried onion , chopped coriender , chopped pudina , cashew nut , rose water , kewra water , saffron , slited green chilles & lemon juice .
9. Cover the pot with the aluminium foil or with the lid .
10. Let it cook on slow heat for 30min . Remove from the heat & your delicious "Bombay Biriyani" is ready to serve . We had ours with fried Papad , raita & salad .
Note : If you will close the layered pot with lid then place the atta dough around the ild . It helps biriyani to cook properly & make more delicious .
Make the dough as you make for chapati .
Thursday, June 11, 2009
No .... Don't think that I am going to Venice or came back from Venice . Last weekend we went to the "Festival City" in Dubai . I really surprised when I saw the canals like Venice & was thinking how romantic it is ...
Dubai is well known for their amazing architectual buildings . but this was really new for me . Here is the picture :
I thought to make something special , since my husband took me some special place to visit . He loves paneer . So I made Paneer paratha , Paneer stuffed Aloo Dum & Some sweet dish .Here is the recipe of Paneer stuffed Aloo dum ......
1. 3-4 Big potatoes .
2. 300gm Paneer
3. 1" piece of ginger
4. 3 medium red onion
5. 5 pod garlic
6. 4 green chilles
7. 2 Tomatoes pureed
8. 1 tsp turmeric
9. 12-15 cashew nuts paste
10.3 tsp youghut
11. 1-2 tsp red chilli powder
12. 1" piece of cinnamon
13. 2 Bay leave
14. 1 tsp garam masala
15. salt to taste
16. 1/2c water
17. 3 tsp Oil
18. handful Coriender leaf
19. 1 tsp sugar ( optional )
1. Clean & cut the potato in half .Now pressure cook the potato pieces with some salt . Make sure that the potatoes are not over cooked .
2. Peel the potatoes & keep aside .
3. Now in a small bowl mix paneer , 1 finely chopped onion , 2 green chillies , finely chopped coriender , salt & 1 tsp garam masala powder .
4. Once potatoes become cool take a spoon & scoop the potatoes carefully to make a hole in the middle of the potato . For this you need patience so that the potatoes don't break otherwise you can't stuff them .
5. Now put the paneer mixture in the scooped potatoes & keep aside .
6. Grind ginger , garlic in a food processor till smooth . Separately grind onion .
7. In a heavy bottom vessel add oil . When oil become hot add the sugar . Now add the cinnamon piece & bay leaves .
8. When the masala crackle add onion & Saute until onions gets soft.Add ginger-garlic paste & fry till raw smell goes .
9. Now add the tomato puree , turmeric powder , chilli powder . Fry in slow heat with occassional Stir to avoid from sticking to the bottom .
10. when oil start leaving add the cashew nut paste & youghut . At this point add salt
11. Now add 1/2 cup water & bring it to boil .
12. Once the gravy become slightly thick add the potatoes carefully so that it won't break . Let it cook for 7-10 min each sides . If needed add some more water . When gravy become thick remove from heat .
13. Garnish with some fresh chopped coriender & serve hot with some paratha or even rice & fresh salad .
Note : Handle the potatoes very carefully when you will place them in the gravy , or else it will break or stuffing will come out .
& when you will scoop the potatoes make sure the outoer wall of the potatoes should be thick enough to hold the stuffing .
Sunday, June 7, 2009
I love Chinese food & I think most of the people also love it . Couple of days back one of my friend came to our house . She have a 4 year old cute little baby girl . She loves chinese . She don't like to eat rice or dal or vegetables . She loves chinese . Her mom have to make chinese food every time she cooks . So when they came to our house for dinner I have to make sure that I cooked chinese food . At least one dish . So I made Gobi Manchurian . This is my husband's one of the favourite food also . So here is the recipe :-
1. 1 Medium size cauliflower .
2. 1" piece of ginger
3. 5 pod garlic
4. 1 medium red onion
5. 1-2 capsicum
6. 3-4 green chilles
7. 3 tsp tomato sauce
8. 3 tsp saya sauce
9. 3 tsp flour
10.3 tsp cornflour
11. 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
12. salt to taste
13. 1/2c water
14. 3 tsp Oil
15. 1 tsp aginamoto ( optional )
1. Cut the cauliflower into small size flourets .Cut the onion & capsicum in small size pieces .
2. Now grind ginger , garlic in a food processor till smooth .
3. In another pot mix flour ,cornflour, salt & red chilli powder . Add little water & make a smooth batter .
4. Now put the cauliflower pieces in the batter & coat properly .
5. In a heavy bottom vessel add oil . When oil become hot add the cauliflower pieces & fry them till brown . Remove from the oil & place them in a paper towel to sock the excess oil .
6. In that same oil add ginger-garlic paste , fry for 2 min .
7. Now add the onion & capsicum . Fry in slow heat with occassional Stir to avoid from sticking to the bottom . Add the tomatoes .
7. Once onion & capsicum start caramalise add tomato sauce & soya sauce . Fry for another 3-4 min . Add aginamoto & salt .
8. Now add 1/2 cup water & bring it to boil .
9. Once start boiling add the cauliflower pieces .When gravy become thick remove from heat & serve hot with some fried rice & fresh salad .
Note : If you feel the gravy is too watery , mix 1tsp cornflour in the gravy .The gravy will become thick .
Tuesday, June 2, 2009
For last 3-4 days it was too much busy . So Cooking became a side part of my life . But on Saturday I made this easy chicken curry for our lunch . That was my birthday so we went for dinner with some of our close friends .
Though in my house we both like mutton most but due to the health consciousness we normally make chicken . It is very simple recipe to make but really delicious .
Now here is the recipe :-
1. 750 gms Chicken without skin & cut into pieces .
2. 1" piece of ginger
3. 5 pod garlic
4. 2 medium red onion
5. 1 tsp cumin seeds
6. Whole Garam Masala ( 1" cinnamon stick , 2 Bay leaf ,5 small cardamom )
7. 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
8. salt to taste
9. 3 tsp Oil
10. 6 whole red chilli
11. 1/2c water
12. 1 tsp Sugar ( optional )
1. Clean the chicken pieces properly .
2. Now grind ginger , garlic & whole red chillies in a food processor till smooth .
3. In a pressure cooker add oil . When oil is become hot add sugar . wait till it caramelized . Keep an eye so that sugar don't burn .
4. Then add the whole cumin seeds & whole garam masala . When the masala crackle add onion & Saute until aromatic and onions gets soft.
5. Then add ginger-garlic-red chilli paste & turmeric powder , fry for 2 min .
6. Now add the chicken pieces . Fry in slow heat with occassional Stir to avoid from sticking to the bottom .
7. Once nice aroma start coming add water & salt , close the lid and wait till 4 whistle .
8. Now add the lentil mixture, reduce the heat to simmer, add salt close the lid and slow cook for 20 min.
9. Once the pressure release serve hot with some rice & fresh salad .
Thia is very easy recipe , whenever I don't have much time I make this dish . This is really a very tasty dish .