Tuesday, May 12, 2009
Dal Makhani - A Punjabi Delight
We all like panjabi food ( guess ) .So we are & that's why yesterday I made this delicious panjabi food dal makhani .I don't like this dish much but my husband likes a lot & this can be made very quickly . So why not give a treat with panjabi food .....
Here is the recipe :
1. 1 cup whole black Urad dal
2. 1/4 cup Kidney beans
3. 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
4. 1 tsp cumin seeds
5. 1-2 tsp green chillies, sliced thinly
6. 1 tsp cumin powder
7. 1 tsp ccoriander powder
8. 2 medium red onion
9. 1 tsp Kasuri Methi
10. 4 tbsp butter
11. wholeGaram Masala ( 2-3 cloves , 1" cinnamon stick , 2 Bay leaf ,5 Pepercorn ,5 small cardamom )
12. 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
13. 1 cup tomato puree / 2 Big Tomato finely chopped
14. salt to taste
15. 3 tsp Oil
16. 3 tsp fresh cream ( optional )
1. Soak the whole black Urad dal and kidney beans overnight. Cook until cooked, almost mushy. In a nonsteak kadai , add oil-butter along with whole garam masala cumin .
2. When the masala crackle add onion & Saute until aromatic and onions gets soft.
3. Then add ginger-garlic paste,fry for 1 min .
4. Now add turmeric powder , cumin powder , coriander powder ,slit green chillies .
5. Once aromatic add the tomato puree or finely chopped tomatoes , close the lid and cook for 8 min until the raw tomato smell leaves.
6. Now add the lentil mixture, reduce the heat to simmer, add salt close the lid and slow cook for 20 min. Stir occassionally to avoid the lentils from sticking to the bottom.
7 .Add the fenugreek leaves , stir and then add the cream.I don't have that so i didn't added .
8. Cook for 2 more minutes and serve hot with Roti .